New Sixth Form teaching block
Tideway School was programmed for extensive refurbishment when a fire destroyed part of the school. The school was then rebuilt involving the complete refurbishment of two blocks and the construction of entirely new structures in a £10 million contract. Because of the constraints of the site, different forms of construction were used for the new buildings including composite steel, steel frame, reinforced concrete frame and precast concrete. The works were completed in 2009.
Designed by Phillip Lockwood, Brighton Borough Surveyor, and completed in 1884 the Western Bandstand is considered to be one of the finest examples of a Victorian bandstand still surviving in England today. The top level of the Bandstand, the ‘Birdcage’, is to be sympathetically restored to its original state while the ground floor and basement levels will be converted from public conveniences to a café. The area immediately to the south of the Bandstand will be landscaped with seating for the café.
The development is built on the site of a former silent movie cinema known as the Electric Empire. The old Grade 2 listed frontage was retained and forms a gated archway leading to the new mixed use scheme which comprises 28 new build apartments, office accommodation and a restaurant. These are located in three detached blocks linked with open sided and covered walkways and a central staircase and lift shaft. The three and four storey blocks were traditionally constructed whilst the five storey block was built using reinforced concrete frame and flat slab construction. All three blocks were supported on continuous flight auger piled foundations and reinforced concrete ground beams.
This refurbishment of a four-storey period building in the heart of Hove involved significant structural alterations to the internal load bearing walls in order to completely reposition the existing stairs. New flats were created in the upper floors with committee rooms, snooker hall and bar strengthened and redeveloped, without compromising the classical appearance of the building.